Over the last month and a bit of living in this new house I have done more sewing then I did in all of 2011. I'm very excited about this. Everything was very basic, but still, I made stuff!
First I started with this project bag prototype.
I followed the Drawstring Bag Tutorial over at Yarnmonster (reversible bags!). It is a terrific tutorial (really, it is amazing!) - exactly what I needed to get in the swing of things with sewing again! The first bag turned out a bit small, but made to the pattern size. It will work for socks.
With bit of help from household math-wiz Shane I was able to figure out to use the tutorial to make a bigger version of the bag. I made two more!
And then I made a third big one!
Then I worked on a project out of necessity....but I still got it done! When we moved into our new home there were no shower curtain rods. I ordered them in advance and on move in day my dad & Shane graciously installed the one in the master bedroom so we could stay clean. Unfortunately none of us considered the height it should have been installed at....so it was too high for a standard shower curtain and too low for a long shower curtain. However, hemming a shower curtain or two is much easier then patching walls so I took on the chore. Yes, I hacked off the bottom six inches of a $50 shower curtain and then a $20 liner but the good news is it didn't turn out all that bad!
Once I finished hemming the shower curtains (boring!) I wanted to do something fun. I was going to cook dinner but instead decided to tackle blankets for the dogs for their new beds in my office. What fun! (Thankfully Shane was willing to go to Panera for carry out!) I did a simple blanket - just did a piece of fleece and a piece of flannel sewn together. It was an interesting project to use the two fabrics together, but they turned out pretty well and I think the puppies love them.
I have one other set to make them for their kennels that they stay in during the day. Have I ever told you how spoiled my dogs are?
In addition to the sewing (but with no pictures) I have made two kitty snuggles to donate to the local animal shelter, I have baked and cooked and worked on a never ending pair of socks. Once the other dog blankets are sewn I'm not sure what I'll sew next....so many possibilities!
I could get used to this making stuff thing!

3 comments:
Whew, so many cool projects! I don't know if I could've cut such a pricey shower curtain, lol. Great job!
Thanks for the link to the bag tutorial -- I need to make some bags and my sewing skills are below par.
essjay!! You're so talented! Would LOVE to see some pics of the house, Honey.
WOW You've been busy! Love the bigger bags, and the puppy blankets. Good job on the shower curtain, too!
Post a Comment