On December 9th, 2011 Shane & I were able to move into our new home. We've been here nearly a month now and couldn't be happier.
Here is where we now call home. Simple but perfect. Brand new construction and move in ready when we found it.
I typically respond to change in stride. I tend to not get too stressed out and this move was no different (minus the one freak out day I had before Thanksgiving). Change is a constant part of life, something I look forward to. While I've taken the move in stride actually living here has really affected me in such a great way.
Growing up my family only moved once - we lived in Vermont then moved to New York when I was 11. I lived in the house in New York until I left for college. I had various dorm rooms and apartments and my parents moved - but all those places were home. Even my parent's home and my sister's apartment was "home" to me because they were there - even though I was only a visitor.
When Shane & I got married I moved into the town home he'd purchased a year before. I'd looked at the pictures and said "sure, looks great". I never really liked the place all that much (especially in the last few months) but it was home because my Shane was there with me. Home to me truly is where my heart is, so where ever Shane goes is home. We knew the town home was a transition place for us. Some place to live and build equity while we saved our pennies for a down payment on a house. I don't think I ever formed a positive attachment to the town home.
Then in early December we moved to a house I had fallen in love with before ever stepping foot inside. The garage doors and glass in the front door got me. Then I went inside - walk in pantry, an office/craftroom for me, an office for Shane, a yard to fence that included a covered deck, a future theatre room and more? I heard the check marks hit my must haves. Every time we went back we fell more in love.
Now that we have been here for a nearly a month I can admit that I am attached. I am HOME. It truly is a feeling I've never felt before. This is our house. For us to live in for many years to come. My Shane is here, my puppies are here, my parents are only three and a half miles away. I feel my desire to craft coming alive again. I have taken my camera out of its case and used it. I am loving the chance to cook in my new kitchen - even doing the dishes doesn't bother me. There are things I want to do to the house to make it more ours...without worrying about resale value. I want to keep it clean and shiny. We are building life together in this new home. Memories that are ours. New daily routines. A chance for us to have time for our hobbies. A place for us to be us. A place that is ours for as long as we want it to be.
While I'll always have a home with my family, for the first time in 34 years I have found a deeper meaning in the word home. I am so appreciative of this home and how much I love it here.

6 comments:
Beautiful! Congratulations on the new HOME. May you spend many happy and blessed years there!
So happy for the both of you! Kram!
Absolutely LOVELY post!
So where is your new home? (It sounds perfect!)
Congratulations on your new home and you're back behind the camera again :) I am slowly catching up on my blogging after my absence. I am very happy for you! Btw, what are jeans stickers (from a later post)?
Sorry I missed this post--I'm so very happy for you two. I've been in the same GI house for 45 years--where we moved when we got married. My husband doesn't like change and doesn't know how to construct, plumb, and hates to paint--so it hasn't changed. I shouldn't have envy in my heart-and I don't want what you have. I'd just like something a little different--and in the city my son lives in!Grand-kids are there!
:) I'm so happy for ya, Sara. This is a wonderful entry!
Post a Comment