Friday, December 10, 2010

My First Quilt

Two years ago I took a quilting class where we made the top for a wall hanging.  She showed us how to put it together, quilt it and bind it but I never finished - I stopped when the top was done. In September & October I took a quilting class at Quilter's Cupboard. The class was, interesting and while I'm glad I took it there is so much more for me to learn.

Here is my final quilt. I picked out the fabrics, cut them all out, pieced it all together, quilted it and put the binding on myself.  It isn't perfect, but it isn't horrible either. There was a lot of heartache involved in this quilt - one night lost because I couldn't remember what I'd done the night before.  Many swear words, lots of burns from the irons.  In the end I'm proud of the quilt.  I am looking forward to making more quilts in the future - when I find the time - and I already have the fabric, pattern, batting and thread. 

I made this as a gift and once I fix the few bad spots I found while taking pictures I'll be sending it off....just in time for Christmas!

DSC_4897_edited-2

DSC_4884

DSC_4890_edited-1

DSC_4881_edited-1

DSC_4880_edited-1

DSC_4879_edited-1

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Niiiice!

The colour combination is striking. I'm so glad you finished it... (Which reminds me of the quilt I have lying on our desk waiting me to continue my attempts to stipple it...)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that is gorgeous! I think we always find little things we don't like but to me, it's perfect. What a great gift.

Erica said...

Congratulations! That looks so great :D

Meredith said...

Looks great to me! I love the colors that you chose.

Karen said...

Sara, it's beautiful! Congratulations!

Bluebird49 said...

Sarah--that's lovely! I didn't know you were quilting--I don't think! I forget so much, it seems! Good for you! Love the stripes.