Friday, December 24, 2010

A Miracle

On Wednesday, December 15th a miracle happened in my house.

I finished the Wicked sweater.

This sweater is a gift for my sister, for her birthday in May.  Yes, May of 2010.  If you remember I started a sweater for my sister for the Knitting Olympics, and failed.  I then tried again with a different pattern, same yarn, and failed again.

I picked the sweater back up again in July....and failed again.  By then I was using the Wicked pattern and new yarn, Dream in Color Smooshy.  I struggled greatly with this last attempt.  To be honest, the pattern is horrible and it disappoints me that I paid money for this pattern.  The cast on number is incorrect, the pocket is a disaster and the long sleeve option is ridiculous.  There were times when the sweater sat many weeks untouched because it was such a disappointment.  I didn't blog about it because it didn't see worth in complaining, in sharing my frustration.

My knitting time has been limited as of late but I promised myself that I would get this sweater finished for my sister so she could have her birthday gift by Christmas so I powered through.  I redesigned the pocket. I figured out how to knit the sleeves so they were sleeve shaped.  I ripped out the bottom and knit it longer.

The pain of this sweater is finally over.  And despite the hardships with it I am proud of this finished sweater.  The yarn was a dream - the color so fantastic and when I washed it the yarn bloomed and became even softer.  I love the purple yarn of doom but the Smooshy worked out like a dream.  The modifications that I made to the pattern made it even more personal of a gift and gave me a sense of satisfaction that I could work through the bad and make a beautiful sweater.

It may be a while before I knit an adult sized sweater again however I know this sweater will be well loved and worn by a very happy sister of mine!

DSC_4978_edited-1

DSC_4983

DSC_4985

DSC_4984

DSC_4989_edited-1

6 comments:

Karen said...

It's beautiful!

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you triumphed over that pattern and sweater! The yarn looks wonderful, and I'm sure you're sister is going to love it.

Have a very merry christmas!

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely! And I'm sure you're sister will love it. Especially knowing what hell you went through to get it done for her. :)

Enjoy your holidays! :kram:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! So glad you powered through it -- that shows real skill and talent.

Meredith said...

It is beautiful! I'm sorry it was such a pain, but it looks like it was worth it.

Tina J. said...

Wow, that's gorgeous! Good job. I know your sister will love it!