My crafting time in general has been lacking, but I'm learning to adjust to that. I'm thankful for every moment that I have to knit and craft now and am trying not to focus on how little I can get done. Simple projects are best and my mom provided me with two opportunities for that recently.
When I went to visit in July we visited a yarn store where she picked out and paid for some lovely sock yarn and then handed the yarn to me to make her socks. She likes socks made out of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's Sock Recipe pattern which is my standard go to pattern (how many times have I told you that?). The yarn is Plymouth Zino and while it was very splitty the end result was just lovely. I finished these over Thanksgiving and mailed them off in perfect time for the cold weather has found New York. Mom was very happy with them - especially because they are long enough (I got bored on the last set and stopped short!).
In September my mom went with her friend Linda to the Hemlock Fiber Festival in upstate New York. Linda found some lovely Opal sock yarn that she loved and asked Mom if she thought I would knit her socks. How can I resist someone who wants hand made goodness on their feet? So, Linda bought the yarn and Mom brought it too me when they visited in October. I finished these socks just before Thanksgiving. The yarn had a pretty specific pattern and I asked Linda if she wanted them to match, which she did. I don't usually take the time to match socks but this time I did and was prepared to spend a lot of time finding where to start the next sock. Much to my surprise I had to start six inches after the first one ended! The socks match perfectly, all the way to the last row and the Kitchener stitch. Notice that green toe? Linda loves the socks. Another person enjoying hand knit socks - my job is done!

4 comments:
Who doesn't love hand knit socks? Those are lovely and so kind of you to knit.
I, too, am just trying to be glad when I have time to knit, no matter how much.
Hey Sweetie--that was really nice of you to do a pair for your mom's friend! Socks take me awhile to do, so I know I could not have done it that soon. I love both--I don't know how you got them to match so well! How long does it take you to knit a pair, and do you use dpns, or another method?
Awesome socks are awesome. It's really great how easy it was to match the funky ones together!
I do think that handmade socks are about the best gift ever. So pretty, so special and so useful!
Post a Comment