Tuesday, August 31, 2010

2010 Iowa State Fair

I'm running a bit behind on my State Fair post! I went to the State Fair grounds a bunch this year! Two preview nights (photography & knitting) and then twice when the fair was running. Saturday, August 21st I went with Kara for about four hours in the late morning & early afternoon and then Sunday, August 22nd I went with Shane for about two hours in the evening.  Below are some of the pictures I took this year.  More pictures from this year (and last) can be found here.

Of course we visited the photography and knitting displays to see our work & the work of friends on display....

State Fair Items 2010

There was the butterfly tent with butterflies and moths that would land on you...

DSC_3093

DSC_3123

The Animal Learning Center had all kinds of baby animals on display....

DSC_3156

DSC_3167

DSC_3265_edited-1

DSC_3286

We caught the end of a belly dancing exibition....

DSC_3180

Marveled at this quilt that was entirely hand quilted....

DSC_3230_edited-1

Saw Dr. Suess Charachters carved out of butter....

DSC_3246

"Star Boars" charachters carved out of sand....

DSC_3210

Blue Ribbion Corn (this is Iowa afterall)....

DSC_3212

Saw the midway lights at night....

DSC_3300

DSC_3311

Another great year for the fair! I'm already looking forward to seeing the sights, eating the fried food next year and of course I'm planning what to knit to enter and planning photography shoots so I can enter four more pictures next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos!

--Carla

Anonymous said...

I wish we had fairs like yours. We do have a tradition of fairs but I think they're more commercialized than yours. And I've never seen any of them have competitions like yours do. Hmmm... I'm a bit shocked here. Am I actually thinking something in the US is better than here in Sweden? :)

Sarah said...

Great photos! You actually made me miss the fair (which I did not think was possible).

Bluebird49 said...

Oh--thanks so mch for giving us pictures of the State Fair!! I loved them all. I really htink you should have won beter than 3rd on the picture--but I'm so glad you won ribbons!

(Thanks for what you said in your comment--you were so wsweet to say that!)