Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pettine Shawl

This week seems to have brought on one of my least favorite things about summer: crazy time at work.  I've worked extra hours every night this week and see many more late nights in the near future.  I am used to it but it is always a jolt to fall back into that longer day schedule.  It will also be a time when blogging becomes difficult! I'm going to try to be better this summer, but we'll see.  Sometimes I just don't want to see a computer any more once I leave my desk at work.

I wanted to share one of my latest finished objects, a Christmas gift for my Grandmother.

DSC_2430

This is the Pettine Shawl by Corrina Ferguson (Ravelry link to the pattern).  What drew me to this pattern was the fairly solid nature of the shawl.  My Grandmother uses shawls to stay warm so I don't want to knit her patterns that have lace all over and this shawl had a perfect lace edging so it fit the bill.

DSC_2413_edited-1

The pattern is very well written and easy to follow.  Typically I follow charts on lace patterns but this one didn't include the entire row so I followed the written instructions.  The shawl is worked from left point to right point which was a fantastic way to make sure I used every ounce of yarn.  The pattern calls for fingering weight yarn.  I used two skeins of  Knit Pick's Shadow (lace weight), in the "Vineyard Heather" colorway, held together and I really love how it worked out.

DSC_2411_edited-1

I will say that I wish it had ended up a bit bigger but I think it will work well for my Grandma.  I blocked the heck out of the shawl and it did grow in size and really opened up beautifully.  Since the pattern is just to follow the repeats until it is as long (center back) as you want it and then decrease it is easy to make the shawl the size you want....I simply ran out of yarn.  I highly recommend this pattern and this yarn!

DSC_2409_edited-1

5 comments:

Sarah said...

The pictures don't do this justice. It is beautiful!

Karen said...

It's lovely, Sara!

Lisa said...

Oh, the simplicity of this shawl and the colour! Stunning!

Lisa (www.islandknitter.blogspot.com)

Caffeine Girl said...

How pretty! I just love the edging.

Tina J. said...

Really gorgeous. She's going to love it!