I love the sun during the winter months - I rely on it to keep me sane. This year the sun hasn't been out much but when it has been I've developed a love hate relationship with it. I love that it makes me feel better but I hate the damage it causes to my house. Granted, it isn't the sun's fault that the ice damn is causing leaks but when it is gray & cloudy there is no further damage. Clearly it is the Home Owner Association's fault for doing nothing over the last month to fix the cause of the problem so the problem has only worsened.
On January 15th our roof looked like this:
The damage in our guest bedroom was this:
On February 17th our roof looked like this:
A lot less ice, right? That is a good thing. Except that it has caused my guest bedroom to now look like this:
The water, which previously only went 1/4 down the wall (see that horizontal strip?) now goes all the way to the floor and this morning the guest room carpet was SOAKING wet...squishy wet. I moved the bookshelf out of that corner and set up fans to blow at the wall and at the carpet all day. Thankfully the carpet in the guest room is dry to the touch now. Unfortunately I didn't take action in the loft so the carpet is a bit wet and it already smells of mold.
The insurance company is involved and the Home Owner's Association says they can't "fix" the ice damning problem so there really is no point to getting any of this fixed until winter is over else the water will continue to come in.
With this happening I'm now officially ready for winter to be over.

3 comments:
That is horrible! I wish you good luck in moving soon!!
This really sucks!!! I'm so sorry you have these kinds of problems.
Holding my thumbs for the damages to be limited.
:kram:
You have my sympathies. We've had terrible problems with ice dams, too, but at least we own our house so we can at least try to fix and control it!
Post a Comment