Tuesday, December 15, 2009

You Must Make These

I follow the Craftzine.com blog pretty closely.  Most things I skip over but there have been all sorts of great crafting projects and a lot of great recipes posted.  The other day they posted a recipie for Vegan No-Knead Pumpkin Bread and it caught my eye.  The recipie was posted on a fairly new blog (Never Home)Maker which offers DIY home projects, crafting projects, vegan recipes among other things.  The site got added to my Google reader and the other day Ashley posted this: Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies.  Vegan Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies.  I am vegetarian, not vegan, but I'm always looking for great vegan recipes.  I will say by no means is this a "healthy" recipie as it has a lot of sugar in it but I'm telling you right now...you must make these.

DSC_8838_edited-1

I made these yesterday as a treat.  When I mentioned chocolate and peanut butter in the same dessert to Shane he of course said he wanted to try them!  The recipie was very easy to follow.  I was concerned that the batter would run all over the cookie sheet because it isn't much like cookie batter - much more cake like.  When you make these only put six cookies on one sheet pan - trust me, they do grow. A lot.

DSC_8840

My other suggestion is to do what the recipie says and use a rounded tablespoon and nothing bigger.  I used my OXO medium cookie scoop and while it worked well I ended up with big cookies (hence needing to put only six on each cookie sheet).  I also wasn't careful to make sure the scoop was level - so some cookies were bigger then others. Why use a rounded tablespoon?  These little cake-like-cookies are so rich that the bigger cookies were a bit much especially since they are sandwiched together.  You should end up with 28-30 cookies if you use the right size!

The only thing I really didn't like was the texture of the filling.  It was very tasty but it didn't come together like I thought it should.  This has nothing at all to do with the recipie - I think it has to do with my choice of peanut butter and margarine.  I used Smucker's Creamy Natural Peanut Butter.  It is "creamy" but not creamy like Jif is and it created a very oily filling.  Again, while the filling tasted good, it did not get "light and fluffy" so I'll have to work on finding the perfect peanut butter and margarine/butter replacement to make the filling work. 

Some how I'll suffer through making multiple batches of these until I get the filling right!

Trust me, you need to make these Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies!

1 comment:

ZinkThink said...

Sounds/looks good! They must, because after I read this, I went home with an uncontrollable urge to bake cookies (which Stacia can tell you I almost never feel like). I just made regular chocolate star cookies, but I think the whoopie pies might be on the agenda next time!