Sunday, December 13, 2009

Year In Pictures - Week 14


92:365 - Sewing Machine Cover

YIP1 - 92:365 - Sewing Machine Cover

12/06/2009 - This is my newest sewing project - a cover for my new sewing machine. We have forced air heat so we end up with a lot of dust flying around which I didn't want to get into the inner workings of my sewing machine. This project has more wrong with it than right with it and it started with buying the wrong size bias tape. Despite its many faults it does what it is supposed to: protects my sewing machine and I did learn a lot from making it.

93:365 - Highway Gunk

YIP1 - 93:365 - Highway Gunk

12/07/2009 - Des Moines got its first measurable snow overnight on Monday. The roads were not horrible but very wet and the wind shield wipers on my car could barely keep up with the gunk thrown up by other cars and semis on the highway.

94:365 - And so it begins....

YIP1 - 94:365 - And so it begins....

12/08/2009 - This was taken at 5:49 CST. There is supposed to be a huge snow storm moving through that started this morning. They were predicting up to 14" of snow. We got 16" in our front yard by Wednesday morning.

95:365 - Aftermath

YIP1 - 95:365 - Aftermath

12/10/2009 - This was taken at 3:19 CST on Wednesday before I started shoveling. We ended up with 16" of snow in the front yard and on the driveway it drifted to waist high in some places. Can you see the front of my car peeking out on the left hand side? I literally shoveled off the hoods of the car and windshields. That was a lot of snow to shovel and the high winds did not make it a pleasant experience.

96:365 - Back to Work

YIP1 - 96:365 - Back to Work

12/10/2009 - This winter storm shut Des Moines down. Highways closed, snow plows pulled off the roads and the malls were CLOSED. It was crazy! Things opened back up on Thursday despite the roads still being a total mess. This is I-80/I-35 on my drive to work Thursday morning. There was hardly any pavement in sight because most lanes were hard packed with snow so you couldn't see lane lines. Most of the hard pack snow had a layer of ice on top of it making things even worse. My commute for the entire week took twice as long as normal. While it could have been much worse I was sick of 40 minutes in the car twice a day.

97:365 - Messy Cook

YIP1 - 97:365 - Messy Cook

12/11/2009 - I really enjoy cooking and most times I'm pretty good at it. The one thing I'm not good at? Being neat while cooking! I made several batches of Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna Rollups for the Des Moines Metro Knitter's holiday party. While they are really easy to make the process was incredibly messy for me. Thankfully I'm graced with mad cleaning skills so within 30 minutes of finishing my kitchen was sparkling clean again.


98:365 - Prettier from Indoors

DSC_8801

12/12/2009 - Today was the Des Moines Metro Knitter's Holiday party that was held at the Raccoon River Park Nature Lodge. It was a lovely place to have this event - there was an incredible amount of natural light (which was good and bad!) and the view was peaceful. There is something about enjoying a winter scene from indoors. While we were there several gentleman drilled a hole in the ice and were ice fishing. I'll stick to enjoying the beautiful winter scene from indoors!

Number of pictures taken this week: 93

If you hadn't been able to tell it snowed this week in Iowa! Snow & bad weather is the theme for what 5 of this week's pictures?

4 comments:

Anna said...

The only positive thing there is about snow is that it adds light...

I think the machine cover looks great! :)

ZinkThink said...

Sigh. Messy cook - check. Mad cleaning skills - not even close.

If I didn't keep disciplined, thinking of cleaning as the price I pay for my cooking hobby, my kitchen would look like your picture all the time!

Stacia said...

I was plagued by the highway gunk too. I probably used almost a full gallon of washer fluid during my drive to Omaha on Friday. Those semis sure throw a lot of slop!

Trudy said...

Ooh--we've got 22" up here in the mountains of VA aat my son's house. It's the most snow I've seen in years--and they're expecting sleet for Christmas. Ugh!

I love to cook--but ooh--it's a CHORE to clean up afterward!