As requested by Sarah Jane (yes, another Sarah Jane, just spelled differently!) here is the recipie I use for Butternut Squash Soup. Well, I guess it is the guideline I use for the soup. That is how I use most recipes - as a guideline. I just need to know the basics of how much of this and how much of that and how much baking/cooking time but then I always try to add my own little touch. I got this recipie from my Mom...no idea where she got it from! This recipie is vegan (if you leave off the cheese!) which is an added bonus.
What you'll need is vegtable broth, tofu (stick with me here), an apple, onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg, blue cheese, and bread.
Peel the apple, onion and squash. I've always heard that the squash was hard to peel so I pulled out the big peeler but it was horrible. I've cut my finger before on this thing so I quickly abandoned it for my stand by peeler and it flew through the squash rind. Peeling the squash left my hands orange and yucky - nothing washing my hands four times didn't take care of!
Cut up the apple, onion and squash and throw it all in the pot with the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for ten minutes (or until squash is tender). Put in the salt, pepper and nutmeg. This part is optional, but if you want to make this soup more of a stand alone "meal" soup you can add the soft tofu after the apples, onions and squash are cooked. Trust me, you won't be able to taste it but it will add a great source of protein to the soup and thicken it up.
Now for the fun part. Blending it! You can blend it in batches in the blender or use an immersion blender. I used an immersion blender this time and while it worked well the texture would not smooth out all the way - the squash texture was still there. When I blended it in the blender last time it was silky smooth. I didn't mind the texture after using the immersion blender but if you want it smoother pull out the blender!
All that is left is finding a bowl and putting some crumbles of fresh Maytag Blue Cheese in find some good bread (ciabatta from La Mie was excellent). I had this bowl for breakfast!
Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 6 Cups
4 C vegetable broth
12 oz butternut squash; peeled & cut into 1-1/2" cubes
1/2 of a large Vidalia onion, cut into 2" cubes
1/2 of a small apple, peeled & cut into 2" cubes (use the whole apple not just 1/2!)
1/4 t salt (use more if needed)
1/8 t black pepper (use more if needed)
1/8 t nutmeg (use more if needed)
Optional: 1 block of soft Tofu (drain if packed in water)
In a large stock pot combine the first four ingredients; cover pot & bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover pot & reduce heat to low. Gently simmer until squash is very soft/tender - about 10 minutes. Optional: drop in the block of tofu, no need to cut it in to pieces.

1 comment:
Oh wow!! That looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe--it's going in my recipe box!
Post a Comment