After our trip to Fae Ridge on Saturday (two weeks ago now!) we headed out to an open house at Savannah Breeze Alpaca Farm on Sunday. We had another beautiful day weather wise - it was perfect for wandering around the grounds petting the animals, taking pictures, chatting with the owners and buying yarn. Tim & Sonia own the farm and have a log cabin on the property and they were so welcoming and willing to answer all the questions people could come up with. It is clear that they love this hobby (yes, they both have full-time jobs on top of the Alpaca farm!).
One thing that I learned at Fae Ridge and at Savannah Breeze was about how important guard llamas are. This is Leroy, yes, "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" from Jim Croce! Tim told us that Leroy is very good at guarding the herd of alpaca. (Is it a herd??) He will round them up when bad weather comes and get them into the barn and he can kick coyotes right out of the enclosure. He also doesn't like to get his shots and enjoys giving Tim a hard time. At Fae Ridge the llamas will lay in front of the barn doors to keep everyone out when the lambs are still tiny.
One thing that I learned at Fae Ridge and at Savannah Breeze was about how important guard llamas are. This is Leroy, yes, "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" from Jim Croce! Tim told us that Leroy is very good at guarding the herd of alpaca. (Is it a herd??) He will round them up when bad weather comes and get them into the barn and he can kick coyotes right out of the enclosure. He also doesn't like to get his shots and enjoys giving Tim a hard time. At Fae Ridge the llamas will lay in front of the barn doors to keep everyone out when the lambs are still tiny.
Of course there was also yarn! You all remember Sookie from my YIP post,right? She has this pretty white fur with a brown blanket over the top and her yarn was just stunning! This was her baby fleece so it was even softer than the other alpaca yarn. Sonia didn't want to sell her yarn and I completely understand why - I wouldn't have wanted to sell it either! I'll be buying some next year (if Barb will let me!).
I bought some Caitlyn yarn instead. It is a lovely lovely chocolate brown and so dreamy and soft. The love that I got to meet Caitlyn, her photo appears below the photo of yarn made from her fleece. It makes me feel really connected to the yarn to have met the animal it came from.
It was such a lovely visit to their farm and so great to learn more about Alpacas! I'm going back next year and hope to bring some more friends (as long as they understand I get first crack at Sookie's yarn!). Here are some additional pictures from the day and here is the Flickr set.

6 comments:
I love the motion you got in the spinning picture! Way to go!
wow - speechless!! wonderful pictures!
what are you going to make with that lovely brown yarn??? inquiring minds want to know!
What a great experience to see the alpaca that the yarn is made from!
Absolutely lovely pictures of the adorable alpacas.
Sweet memories--sweet pictures! I'm glad you and Shane were able to be with us that weekend!
Wow, what cute animals! It must be so cool to meet the ones who give you your yarn, and in turn, such a good time.
That sounds like so much fun. We must have similar farms here in Wisconsin!
Post a Comment