Monday, January 5, 2009

Last Projects of 2008

I found myself wanting to finish up a major project before the year finished and I reached my goal at about 3:00 PM Wednesday, surrounded by knitter friends, cheering me on. I started 'my version' of the Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts in November. I wanted to knit this as part of National Knit a Sweater Month (NaNoSweMo) and on that part I failed. I knit the sweater for my sister and it took her until Thanksgiving to get me her measurements and then I just ignored the sweater for a while. When I did get back into it the sweater went a lot faster than I thought it would!


DSC_3608


Pattern: Hourglass Sweater from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts (Rav Link) and I added the XO cable up the sleeve from Cables Untangled (I don't remember which cable) so I wouldn't get bored with all that stockinette.

Yarn: Solana from Brooks Farm Yarn (I used almost 4 full skeins = 1200 yards) This is a super was wool and it was delicious! It didn't stand up to frogging very well but it is SO soft and soaking it for a bit made it even softer.

DSC_3610

Thoughts: This was a great pattern, easy to follow and easy to modify. I shortened the sleeves as my sister is vertically challenged and added 16 additional rows to the yoke to close up the neck. I already think that she'll be returning the sweater so I can add 16 more rows to the yoke - it is really wide! But I'd rather fix it and have her wear it. The hems at the waist, neck and sleeves were a pain, but the finish is so lovely that it was well worth it.



DSC_3611

I also got in a quick hat for my sister to send with the sweater - she is a lucky one! I bought some handspun from the Farmer's Market and made the Hurricane Hat. It was a quick knit and I'm happy with the results.


DSC_3586-edited1

I'm lucky to have a sister who appreciates my hand knitted items - she's provided me with a list of what she wants!

7 comments:

Enigma said...

Gorgeous Hourglass! I like your mod a lot.

Jen said...

Whoa! SJ, that is gorgeous! I wish I'd seen that before I started mine. ;) It never occurred to me to do something interesting with the sleeves. That's beautiful!

Anna said...

Love what you did to the sleeves! I'm sure it made knitting more fun and it definitely adds to the eyes as well. :)

What a lovely sister you have, appreciating your knitted gifts!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! I love the color of the yarn and the extra detail on the sleeves.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE how you modified the sleeves -- it's so much more interesting your way! Great job on the sweater and the hat.

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous, Sweetpea!! Lucky sis!!

BrownBerry said...

The sweater is GREAT! Your sister is very lucky, and I love that you have someone who appreciates your work. The mod to the sleeves is a fantastic idea!