Wednesday, June 25, 2008

BOYB

I've overcome the need to frog a knitting project. I present to you BOYB from the Summer 2008 Knitty.

Pattern: BOYB from the Summer 2008 Knitty by Moira Ravenscroft.
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Solid in Natural (98), Seaspray (123) and Black (153). I used about 1.5 skeins of the Seaspray, 1/4 of the Black and even less of the Natural.
Needles: Knit Pick Options 24" circular, US 7 and US 10 needle tips.
Finished Measurements: 15” from pick up edge to bind off edge (height) & 15.5” from side to side (width)

Problems I had:

  • After knitting the bottom and picking up all the stitches I could only get 145 stitches from the pick up, so I was 20 short and 10 of those 145 were very “forced” pick ups.
  • I, personally, did not like how the increases & decreases looked on the bottom of the bag. The seed stitch did not cover these up at all. I left them as is but would change that in the future.

Modifications I made:

  • I made the top stripes the same height as the bottom stripes
  • I did not do the handles. Instead, 4 rows from the end of the pattern I made four, five stitch button holes. I will use handles from JoAnn’s in the natural color, loop them through the buttonholes and sew them to themselves.

Future Modifications, If I knit this again:

  • I would not knit the bottom as written. I would cast on for the number of stitches when the increases are finished and just knit a rectangular bottom.
  • I would not cast off on the bottom - instead just pick up stitches around after finishing the last row.

Overall I like the way the bag turned out but it is WAY to big. If I stand with it in my hand it nearly touches the ground when it is empty. When you add weight to it the bottom bells out a lot and drags on the floor (for short little me). I would take out about 16 rows of the open lace pattern or just exclude that all together next time. I really enjoyed the Lion Cotton - it is a great yarn to work with.

On the Needles Now: Lace Ribbon Scarf from Spring 2008 Knitty - using the fully frogged ball of Hand Maiden Sea Silk.

5 comments:

DiscKnits said...

Of course it's too big--it's from Knitty!

Anna said...

Love the colours of this bag!!! I hope you get to use it even if it's a tad too big for you.

I like the new look around here, but I kind of miss the banner at the top...

:kram:

Bluebird49 said...

Hey Sweetpea--thanks for stopping by my place@ I think this bag would ba a great thing for me to make--with you mods--for taking Mama's clothes back and forth to wash. I wonder if the bag will shrink up any in the dryer?? You said it was much too long--I can't remember now whether you had washed and dried it or not. (I'm losin'it!)

Meredith said...

Very cute! I wondered if it would stretch a lot when I saw that pattern--good to know that it's pretty big too!

Jen said...

Oh, thanks for all the notes, SJ! After seeing yours, I'm thinking about making one, but it's good to know about all the modifications it needs.

Still, it's beautiful!