I was going to post about how I missed summer and now I need to post over how I missed September! A lot has happened (all good!) since I posted on June 25th. I do not know how it got to be October 3rd, the last thing I remember is, well, May? Here is a recap on my summer.
Over 4th of July weekend I flew to Seattle and saw Mount Rainer from the plane - it was stunning (and how could I not take a picture?).
Why Seattle? Well, other than getting to spend a few hours at Pike's Place (one of my favorite places in Seattle), taking way to may pictures of the beautiful (yet insanely cheap flowers)....
I had great plans for the weekend which included hosting a Bridal Shower for my darling sister, Hillary. Thankfully everyone was fine eating out at a great seafood restaurant (who wants to plan & cook for a party from 1,000 miles away?). Great food, cupcakes, laughter, tears and shared stories were had by all. I'm so glad I was able to do this for my 'baby' sister. She truly lights up any room that she is in and always has a great time no matter where she is. Sharing this with her and getting to meet her closest friends was a true blessing.
When I got back (after a brief 'vacation' in Denver - meaning I missed the last flight out and had to stay over night and then they canceled the flight the next morning) the hard part of the summer set in. I'll only mention it now but work kicked my butt this summer. July 2nd was my 1 year anniversary at this job. I love my job and most of the people who I work with. I'm good at my job and I deliver, which I'm very proud of. I put out some very high profile work this summer but it meant only more work and a long period of high-stress. I made it through but it was very hard. I'm glad they rely on me so much but at the same time it nearly cracked me.
So, I've been living in Iowa now since 2004 and had never made it to the world famous Iowa State Fair. Around here that is UNHEARD of! I went this year, with my friend Kara. With cameras in one hand and fried food in the other hand we saw the biggest bull, the biggest pig, beautiful quilts, stunning knitting, lots of kids high on sugar and fun. It was an amazing experience. Perhaps the best part was Shaun Johnson. Carved in Butter. Yes, done as only Iowa can do - an Olympian in butter. (Made even more special by the fact that Shaun's gym is 2 miles from my house).
I did knit a lot over the summer - it was one of the few things that kept me sane. I am happy to say that I finished Juno 5 days before we left for the wedding. Honestly the shawl was stunning and I am so happy with it despite all the flaws I can find in it. It turned out to be 90 degrees outside and 90% humidity the day of the wedding so the shawl was not needed yet I know in my heart it will be forever cherished by my sister who will always love the things I knit for her. I know this because she's already asked what she is getting for Christmas!
On September 14th my beautiful sister married Dave who fits into our family perfectly. The ceremony was perfect (other than a lighter incident during the unity candle part), the reception was a blast (for those of us that remember much of it) and most importantly Hillary & Dave have started on a life long journey together. When I look at them I hear laughter. I know that may sound odd, but they are always having a good time. They laughed and cried through the ceremony....they are always enjoying each other.
It was an honor to be the Matron of Honor (despite me not being old - as my sister would say) and the day couldn't have been more perfect. Congratulations on your marriage, Dave & Hillary, may you have many years of love and joy with one another and thank you for showing me how fun life can be if you just let it be.
Summer slipped by without me noticing but it was filled with many great moments and time with my family which I never can seem to get enough of. I even was able to get out on the boat at my parents lake house and enjoyed at least one calm moment of the summer. Isn't it amazing how just a few quiet moments can make it all okay?

7 comments:
Thank goodness you are back. I have missed your blog updates. Promise me you won't take anymore blogcations, please.
What a great post. It's so great to get a peek at your family and your sister who I know you care so much about. Love!
Oh Sweetie!!What lovely pictures!! Glad to see you're posting again, after such a busy time with your sister's wedding. She looks so much like you--beautiful.
Thanks for the update! I'm glad to see some life in here. :)
Beautiful pictures as always. I particularly loved the last one of the water. And the ones of your smiling sister!
KRAM!
Welcome back! Congrats to your sister! As always, gorgeous pictures.
Yay, you're back! I'm glad everything has been going well. I'm so happy you finished your sister's shawl in time--I know she's going to treasure that forever.
Wow you take gorgeous photos! It sounds like the wedding was beautiful--so glad you got to be there. :)
Post a Comment