Friday, November 2, 2007

Photography, Take 2

Where have the last two weeks gone? Seriously, I don't understand where November came from. I am a firm believer that the universe has folded time just to mess with my brain. What has turning 30 done to the way I process time? The good news is that I did have two weeks to complete my photography assignment for class.....six pictures in two weeks, not hard. Then why was I still taking pictures at 6:30PM the night before they were due? I'm telling you, time folded. But, here are my submissions for this past Wednesday's class....most "passed" (there is no grading). Next weeks assignment? Repeat the assignment for these six pictures - we'll see if I can pass them all this time!

Panning - the point was to take a picture of a subject, in focus, and move with the subject so the background (& foreground) would be blurry. I can't believe I actually pulled this off! I didn't "pass" though because I was further than 10 feet away from the subject, which isn't a problem, but if you are further than 10 feet away you are to fill the frame. Apparently the frame isn't full enough. I'm still mighty proud that it came out this well.

More Depth of Field - who knew a brick wall could be a subject of a picture. Here you see several feet of brick wall in focus. This picture passed!

Less Depth of Field - here you still see lots of brick wall, but only a few bricks are in focus. Yes, this one passed too!

Stop Action - catch action (obvious action) in focus with no movement. This picture didn't pass, but not for the it shouldn't have! Shhh don't tell the teacher that I cropped it so the picture would fill that damn frame. The center of focus is off - the rear pole is in focus, not the dog.

Show Movement - this is the picture I struggled with last time because I had too much light so I had to try it again - and it passed this time!! This time I waited until 6:30PM instead of 5:30PM and used a polarizing filter to darken it even more. Shutter was open for 6 seconds and I love the affect. Bonus for this picture is that the lights in the fountain were on so the water is lighted! Alas, there will be no more pictures of this fountain for the year....it is to darn cold here in Des Moines to have fountains on!

Peak of Action - I'm really proud of this picture. The point was to show movement that was slightly blurred but in focus. Confusing! If you look closely you can see the "blur" of the logo on the Frisbee but the Frisbee itself is in focus, which means I hit it just when it was in "hang time". The teacher liked the picture but I was TO far away (still with in 10 feet, but the Frisbee was so small) and said you couldn't really see the movement. UGH!

The good news is that I feel like I'm finally understanding all the settings on my camera. I know why pictures turned out bad and what I can try to "fix" them. I'm making a point of bringing my camera with me to work so I can take pictures of things over lunch....when I can pry myself away from my desk (work is kicking my ass at the moment). I won't get better unless I'm using the camera!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you share your photo assignments with us. It's soooo cool to see what you can do with your camera. I'm impressed. Nice to hear that you feel as if you're actually learning something!

Time has folded itself on me to. Guess that happens when you turn 30. :)

:kram:

Enigma said...

Such interesting photo assignments! The pics look great to me - I think my fav is the less depth of field pic of the brick wall...looks like it could be on someone's wall as art!