Friday, September 17, 2010

A Post Full of Random

The last few weeks have flown by. I do not know where the last 16 days went (or the last few months).  The last few weeks have been full of wonderful moments, tough moments, moments of remembrance, and moments of total and utter exhaustion.  Here is a brief recap of the last few weeks of my life.

September 6th was the 3rd anniversary of this blog!  How did that happen!  I don't think my first blog lasted that long but I will say I'm glad I've stuck with this one.  More importantly, thanks to all of YOU for sticking with this one!  I really appreciate you all reading and commenting and being a part of my life!

DSC_3643

September 7th was the 33rd anniversary of my birth!  Happy birthday to me!  I was so very thankful to have a three day weekend and while I was sad I had to go to work on my birthday I made it through.  I received lovely gifts, notes, Facebook/Twitter messages, phone calls, cards from friends and family near and far.  I really felt the love on my birthday and I really needed it as I had been emotionally drained for several weeks.  My gift from Shane hasn't arrived yet, but it is on pre-order.  I treated myself to Shane got me Jordana Paige's newest knitting bag, L.J. Kaelms in the stunning teal color.  I cannot wait for it to arrive!  Even though my gift wasn't here on time Shane got me some beautiful flowers even requested that they put some purple in the bouquet because he knew it was my favorite color!  Fresh flowers are such a treat for me. Well done Shane!

DSC_3618

September 7th was a bigger day for me than just celebrating my birthday.  I was offered a new job and I accepted the offer.  After nearly 15 years of working in the college/university setting I'm making the jump to corporate insurance.  The interview process was long and grueling however I did what I do best - I was myself and was completely honest.  I didn't get the original job I applied for because I didn't have the technical skills (which I anticipated) however the team lead that I interviewed with initially liked me so much that he found me another position within the company to interview for and that is the position I was offered.  Getting a job offer on my birthday was a wonderful present!

DSC_3679 - Copy

On September 8th I turned my notice into my current job.  My last day will be Thursday, September 23rd but I've already started packing up my office.  Deciding to leave was a very difficult decision.  When it comes down to it I love what I do and there are so many wonderful people that I work with and leaving those people behind is going to be so very difficult (thank goodness for Facebook, right?).  However, I am so ready for a new challenge.  I will be working for a corporate IT team, which I've never done before.  I have a lot to learn but I am so excited for this opportunity to continue moving my career forward.  Honestly, I also need to find a job that is healthier for me.  I have been at my current job for three years and two months now.  For about two and a half years I have been struggling. I gave it my best, I tried to make it work, but in the end I had changed (and not for the better) and I was dragging the team down with me.  Time for a clean break.  I realize I'm leaving a hole in the department, but I'm replaceable - we all are.  I did a lot for the university over the last three years and I truly appreciate everyone I work with and all the opportunities I had to grow and challenge myself.  Now it is time for a healthier challenge.

The emotions and stress associated with the interview process, deciding to take the new job, leaving the old job, the start of the school year, major projects going into production (and having problems), my birthday, September 11th, planning a retreat for my knitting group, taking care of the dogs, getting the house clean, trying to sleep, and trying to keep in touch with my friends and family has kept me so very busy over the last few weeks.  I have been exhausted.  No amount of caffeine has been able to stop me from falling asleep on the couch by 8:30.  I have been so blessed with wonderful friends, a fantastic husband and a fabulous family who have all been so supportive and understanding through everything.  I do have a lot to be thankful for, of this I have no doubt.  Thank you to everyone!

Finally, a quick reflection on my Year in Pictures project.  Tonight I took the time to see if I had really reached my goal of taking more pictures over the 365 day period.  I think it worked:

september 6, 2009 through september 5, 2010
Year In Pictures One
7542 pictures during the year
628.5 pictures per month (average)
20.66 pictures per day (average)
compared to
september 6, 2008 through september 5, 2009
No Year In Pictures Challenge
3153 pictures during the year
262.75 pictures per month (average)
8.6 pictures per day (average)

Over 7,500 pictures taken in 365 days? I say mission accomplished!!
And for those of you who were going to miss this project....no worries!  I haven't stopped taking a picture a day yet and plan on continuing on into a second year (I'm just running behind on getting the first week posted)!  After reading some of your comments about why you'd miss the weekly posts it really made me think.  This project truly is a unique way for me to share those smaller moments of my life with those who can't share my life with me every day.  It is my chance to show you how I see the world and it really makes me look at the world.  My photography will only get better if I keep taking pictures, so I'm committing to another YIP!

NewCamera

My Nikon D80 & I have been together for 3 years now.  It was my 30th birthday present.  We have had our ups and downs but I love this camera and can't be happier that I bought it.  Together we have taken 14,265 photos.  I made an off hand comment that if I got this new job I would buy myself a new camera. A professional level camera.  A pricey, nice, beautiful, drool worthy camera.  We'll see if I decide to take that plunge or continue saving for a new house!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you decided to move on in the job department and I hold both thumbs for this being the break you need!

And finding out that you decided to continue with YIP made me all fuzzy. I'm so selfish! :)

Try to relax a bit in the next couple of weeks. You need it, my friend.

Lisa said...

So many things to be happy for! Happy blogaversary and HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You, er I mean Shane made and excellent choice on the Jordana Paige bag. I've had two of her bags and love them both.

HUGE CONGRATS on the new job! What a great birthday gift to be offered the job on your birthday! Advancing career wise is one of my goals as well and seeing you do just that makes me happy and hopeful! You're going to be absolutely great being just you in your new job!

And thanks for continuing the year in pictures, but I'm sure we'll all understand if you don't start right away - what a busy time you've been having!

Congrats again!

Meredith said...

Congratulations on the new job! I hope that you have some time to relax before you start - sounds like you are super busy! :)

Caffeine Girl said...

Happy birthday!

Changing jobs is exhausting, but it sounds like you are making the best choice for yourself and your employers.

Bluebird49 said...

Oh--lots of changes going on with you, Hon! I know they'll miss you at your old job--but onward and upward! I hope the new one doesn't tire you out as much.

Hope you'll be able to get a new camera (but I think you're doing great with THIS one!) AND save for a house!

Sarah said...

Congratulations on the new job. Your birthday flowers are beautiful.

Thank you for deciding to keep the photos coming.