This summer has been a tough one for the puppies. I'll admit that I have been slacking on taking them to the park. I've been very busy but it has also been incredibly hot here in Des Moines. The puppies really can't be out running around hard (and they do run hard) if the temperature goes much above 80. Overheating is an issue so we've been trying to play inside. I've tried to keep them happy by buying them new toys that look like monkeys and squeak.
By giving them special treats gifted to them by friends.
When it isn't hot outside it typically is storming violently so Skeeter has taken to hiding in the bathtub. Since he is spoiled I put a towel in the tub for him to lay on as he shivers in fright.
I tried to be a good dog owner one afternoon when I didn't think it was very hot outside. I took them to the park where they chased tennis balls for 10 minutes then laid in the water for 20 minutes with their poor tongues hanging on the ground.
This past Sunday morning was a pleasant surprise. After spending several weeks in the 90s with heat indexes well in to the 100s it was only 70 degrees at 8AM with very little humidity. I packed up the puppies and drove them to the park...they whined with excitement the entire way!
Sparky was so content to paddle around, chasing sticks. Even my little Skeeter went swimming. He usually dinks around the shore and will go in up to his chest but today he was out swimming around chasing sticks. Their little puppy smiles brought a smile to my face - a much needed smile after a busy week.
Tired puppies are the best puppies. When we got home they passed out on the couch almost immediately and have been sleeping all day.
I am hoping we continue to get a break from the heat of summer so that I can take my sweet puppies to the place that makes them so happy (and makes me happy too!).

3 comments:
What a great post. I love reading about the pups.
Oh--so cute. I KNOW you're a good dog owner--you're a good person. I just don't think people who abuse animals can be very good people, in general, somehow. Maybe I'm wrong, though--it just doesn't seem very likely.
Anyway, thanks for your hugs--you always send warmth!
Aw, what a couple of cuties!
Post a Comment