Many thanks to all of you who helped me decide what photos to enter in the State Fair a few weeks ago on my post Help!. Here are the final tallies of all those that voted in person & online.
Hoarfrost on Lightbulb - 22 votes
Goat Close Up - 21 votes
Tractor In Color - 17 votes
Clematis Close Up - 15 votes
Crowbar - 7 votes
Hostas - 6 votes
Clematis with Petals - 6 votes
Tractor in Black & White - 2 votes
I really appreciate those of you who commented on why you liked certain pictures & not others. All your comments and votes proved one thing to me: photography is completely subjective. I was amazed at what some people loved and other people didn't love - all in the same photo. I really enjoyed learning what people thought as it made me think more about the pictures I take!
I learned something else pretty important in this process. Pictures on my computer screen look COMPLETELY different then they do when they are printed out on 8x12 paper. The take away from that is next year I will be sure to crop my photos to 8x10 so I don't have to pay for custom cut mats and so that I can really decide which photos look appropriate. While photography is subjective, like any art, there are certain technical problems (like bad focal points) that come screaming out when photos are blown up larger than 5x7.
With that said, I had 8 photos printed professionally. Of those 8 photos I had 3 that I fell madly in love with. Madly in love with. I will be framing the photos when I get them back and putting them up on the wall. The last photo I chose because it wasn't bad but it wasn't anything that had any wow factor to it, but it did have something to say.
Sadly, the fan favorite - the photo of the hoar frost on the Christmas light bulb did not make the cut. It was one that suffered from to soft a focal point and bad color when blown up. I still love that photo and am now hoping for hoar frost next winter so I can try it again (here is to hoping my neighbor puts up his Christmas lights again!).
Here are the photos I entered in the fair.....from my favorite to my least favorite. I dropped them off this morning so now the waiting game begins. Thank you all once again for your votes and feed back - this was fun & I hope you enjoyed participating!

3 comments:
Great choices!!! (If I could just get over the John Deere, which is all I see in that picture. :) )
Holding my thumbs for you!
:kram:
Good luck! Thanks for including us in the process. It's a lot of fun!
Oh SO yummy, Sweetpea! I hope so much you'll win something. If you don't--you've won my heart with them, anyway!
Post a Comment