This Friday at work has been unusually silent. I am appreciative of the quiet as it allowed me to make progress on stack of work on my desk that has left me feeling unmotivated for the last several weeks.
Yesterday I finally had a spark to remind me how much I love what I do. A coworker was faced with a challenge in code and waived the white flag to ask for help. As a programmer, when you've been knee deep in code sometimes you just can't see it any more and need to ask for help. I spent 30 thrilling minutes figuring out how to solve her problem. I even had to send her a text message while she was at lunch (because I'm a dork) to let her know that I'd solved the quandry. In that 30 minutes I felt re-energized and wanted to keep solving problems....which is where I need to be right now at work.
Despite my productive day and the spark that brought me back yesterday I cannot wait for vacation. I cannot wait to get out of Iowa. I want to hug my mom, my sister, my dad, my brother-in-law, my grandma, my brother-in-law's mom (who is truly part of the whole family), Lisa, Ellie & Wyatt. I want to visit my grandfather's grave for the first time. I want to hike in the remote hills of New York. I want to sleep in. I want to ignore work. I want to stick my feet in the lake. I want to read a good book (or two). I want to knit my hands off. I want to drive 16 hours in the car with my darling Shaner & laugh the whole way. I want to drink my morning coffee on the dock. I want to feel relaxed. I want to buy awesome pottery at Wizard of Clay. I want to savor every moment with my family because I never get enough of those moments. I just want to be.
I want to stand on my parents deck and soak up scenes like this...
I want to feel the sun on my shoulders instead of looking at it longingly out my office window...
And I want to feel the wind in my hair as we tour the lake in the boat...
And on this fine Friday afternoon I want to wish you all a wonderful,
relaxing weekend because I know you all deserve one!

5 comments:
Amen!
I so want a vacation, too.
I hope you get to go on vacation soon. How many days until you are in New York again?
I hope you get a vacation soon! They're really worthwhile, and help relieve the stress. That all sounds so lovely.
Like!
are you going to NY this summer? I hope so! I want you to have all that!!!
Post a Comment