Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mud

A few weekends ago Shane & I escaped the big city life of Des Moines and stayed at a cabin at Lacey Keosauqua State Park.  We enjoyed our time away and got a few great hours of hiking in.  Unfortunately it rained every night when we were there and there had  been days of heavy rain before we arrived.  This didn't stop us but it certainly made for a very muddy adventure!

mud

My jeans & boots after the first hike.

DSC_1200

Shane starting on the first muddy hike.

DSC_1204

Moss on a stone bridge.

DSC_1220

Muddy lake from all the run off.

DSC_1234_edited-1

Trail through the forest.

DSC_1230_edited-1

The Des Moines River.

Unfortunately the dreary weather meant bad light so I didn't get to take many photos. I had my camera packed away on most of our hikes because of how slippery the trails were.


I would highly recommend staying at a cabin in a State Park.  The rental fee was fairly small, there was a small kitchen & bathroom and a roof over our head at night which was wonderful because of the rain. It was nice to be in the middle of no where with no television, no computers, no road noise and miles of hiking trails to explore.  We will be repeating this vacation at different state parks around Iowa & possibly beyond.  The mud I collected on vacation was an added bonus to the fun we had!

2 comments:

ZinkThink said...

Looks way fun! Stacia keeps saying we should try a cabin, especially once it's too cold to camp. I was hesitant, but it does sound neat - maybe we should give it a go. Lacey-Keo looks like a nice park that we'll have to check out.

Sarah said...

I love the idea of state park cabin camping. I think I will suggest it as a way to camp in the fall.