120:365 - Handmade Gift
01/03/2010 - I love making gifts for others. I love putting my love into gifts. I also love to get hand made gifts! I'm very lucky to have crafty friends & family who spoil me. The latest is this wonderful hand bag my mother gave me for Christmas. It is wonderful and became my knitting back immediately!
121:365 - A Bit Chilly
01/04/2010 - I don't know if you have noticed but it is WINTER. Not just winter but WINTER. We've been having a bit of a cold snap and there is nothing like walking into your office on a Monday morning and having it be 66.5F in there. At least I keep an extra sweater, wrist warmers and a scarf in my office. Well, the space heater helps too!
122:365 - Bad Gas Mileage
01/05/2010 - I bought a Ford Escape at the end of last January to replace my Ford Explorer. (I'm a Ford girl, this is the 4th one I've owned). My Explorer got bad gas mileage - probably around 18 MPG. I was excited that with my manual Escape I could get up to 28 MPG highway. Shane found a free gas mileage app for our iPhones (there really is an app for everything) and I started using it for my Escape - the very first time I filled up with it in fact! I'd been averaging about 25 MPG which is great! However, now that the cold dead of winter has arrived I've been using my remote starter a lot and was shocked to see the average on the last fill up was 19.90 MPG. WHAT? The overall average is still 24.86 but these cold winter weeks are going to kill me. However it will not stop me from using my remote starter - it is one of the best things I've ever purchased.
123:365 - Snowy Day
01/06/2010 - Here we go again. The snow started late afternoon and made the drive home horrendous. We got about 4" of snow and then the temperatures dropped. I'm having happy thoughts of sunshine and fresh, warm grass.
124:365 - Great Buy
01/07/2010 - I picked this up after Christmas to find inspiration for new sewing projects. I've found I prefer smaller projects - I enjoy them more and get more satisfaction out of them. When I saw this book I thought it would be perfect and I'm so glad I bought it. Everything in the book can be made with one yard of fabric or less. It is just like the knitting "one skein wonder" books. I've already picked out several patterns to make and am looking forward to a trip to Joann's this weekend!
125:365 - Rewrite
01/08/2010 - When I write new programs at work I frequently have to document the steps so the users know what to do. The latest program was a lot of fun to work on and I'll be presenting it to faculty next week. Faculty are an interesting group so I wanted to be on top of my game. I asked a friend at work to proof read my documentation and she had a lot to say. She warned me in advance that there was a lot of comments (see all the yellow on the right monitor?) and some were flippant. She warned me not to be offended. I will admit that at first I was offended but then I discovered that when I incorporated her suggestions my writing was strong. The "grammar patrol" comments didn't bother me because I'm not the best with grammar and even her other comments really made a lot of sense when I stepped back. I discovered that people usually just tell me "great job" whereas Mary pushed the envelope - she did what I asked. She read and gave me honest feedback. I feel this may be the strongest piece I've written because of her help and I'm glad that someone took the time to push me.
126:365 - Frozen Winter
01/09/2010 - If you haven't heard yet it has been pretty darn cold here in Iowa latley. I've been looking for the positive side of things and trying to enjoy winter. This morning I took the dogs out for a walk at 7:30 AM. The temperature was -6F and the wind chill was -20F. Just a bit chilly. We kept moving so 8 paws wouldn't freeze to the ground and I saw the trees in the neighbor's yard with these berries on them and they were frosted over and lovely. I took the pups back home and despite the COLD I grabbed my camera (while still bundled up) and headed outside to take some pictures. I only lasted about 5 minutes but I'm glad I headed out because the pictures of the berries with the little dots of frost are just lovely (better when they are bigger!).
Number of photographs taken this week: 37

4 comments:
I've always been fascinated by the little bits of info I get about what you do for work.
The sewing book looks like something I should find. I might actually open the box my sewing machine came in this year.
The bag that your mother made you is so fantastic. I love the fabric. I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it.
So... it's been cold there, you say? ;) It was 6 degrees in FAR NORTH New Hampshire today. A bit chilly! Our cold snap is over here... lasted about 2 days. People out here have always tried to scare us about the winters... I always say that they've obviously never experienced an Iowa winter!
Hope it WARMS UP there this coming week.
I'll have to take a photo of the bag mom made me (same bag - different fabrics). Don't you love it?!?? I bring mine to work with me everyday! Love ya!
I'm not doing any 365 projects but you are inspiring me to take more pictures! I'm enjoying it immensely.
What a great bag. I'd carry that everywhere for everything!
We got icicles down here in Florida so you KNOW it's winter.
Pretty pretty pictures! I love that bag your mom gave you! And I've always thought the remote starter would be wonderful, but we haven't bought a new car since, um....I think well, I think it was 1971! We buy used. And none have had remote starters!
I think I'd rather it be 66 degrees where I worked than 76--I'm really warm-natured.
Thanks for your prayers for Mama. She looked much better tonight, and with two antibiotics, oxyben, TLC, and them keeping a close check--I'm feeling better right now!
Post a Comment