For my birthday, way back in September, I treated myself to a new sewing machine - a Janome DC2010. Other than playing around with it for a few minutes the machine has sat neglected for a few months. When my parents visited my mom (who is a quilter) taught me a lot about the sewing machine and what all the feet, gadgets and fancy stitches were for. It was exactly the motivation I needed to get started on a project.
First up: The Birdie Sling, by Amy Butler
This is the third time I've made an Amy Butler pattern and I have to say I really enjoy her patterns! Her fabrics are lovely too but in this case I just used some random fabrics I'd picked out at Joann's and were hanging out in my fabric stash. No surprise that they are black and gray.
I sewed my first ever gussets on the bottom of the bag.
And I even got to use the new stitch-in-the-ditch foot for the machine to attach the lining to the exterior (the small line just below the black fabric, barely visible). I'd taken good notes when my mom taught me about that foot so I was able to easily figure out how to use it on this pattern.
This is a pretty big bag and it is lined with fusible fleece interfacing so it stands up on its own. What I love the most about this bag (other than then fact that I made it!) is how much it holds! I haven't been able to find a bag that will hold my dSLR and everything else but this bag fits more than I could imagine and I love it!
I took my time with this pattern and I think it made all the difference. Typically sewing frustrates me. I think it is because I can't admit to myself that it takes me a while to sew and I can't expect to finish it all in one sitting. With the project I just finished this weekend I really took my time - one night I cut out the pattern tissues, the next I cut out the fabric then sewed it over two days. It really made a difference for me to break it down into smaller sections so I think I'll keep up this approach.
This is post number 100 and I never came up with a fun contest for this post. Maybe at 150? Apparently, all my creativity is missing right now!

5 comments:
Perhaps a prize for the first comment on post 100? Is it me? Did I win?
I love that bag! I was getting the itch to sew the other day while I was looking through my fabric stash. I have six babies to knit for though...
Isn't it great to make something you're completely satisfied with! It's not only pretty, but it's something you'll use a lot! I don't have a really nice sewing machine, but I'm glad to have one when I want to do some sewing!
My sister loves her Birdie Sling! She can carry tons of stuff in it for school and still look stylish. :)
I had an awful time stitching the exterior and interior together though and ended up doing it by hand. Impressed that you got it working!
WOW! I bow to your awesomeness!!! Now come teach me how to make one!!!
You are so talented! It looks wonderful!
Post a Comment