Things I think about while knitting...
I like knitting socks. I’m not obsessive or have a pair OTN at all times, but I do enjoy knitting a good pair of socks. I’ve found though that everyone has different preferences for how their socks fit their feet. Personally, I wear a size 8 shoe. The fabulous More Sensational Knitted Socks book says that a sock knitted for a size 8 shoe should have a heel to toe length of 8 inches and a total foot length of 9 ¾ inches. For my personal taste I actually prefer the sock to be 1 to 2 inches shorter to have a nice snug fit.
Where does this leave me when knitting gift socks? LOST!
1. Go With the Flow, 2. Garter Heel, 3. Garter Rib, 4. Oblique Openwork, 5. Basket Weave, 6. Kroy, 7. Silver's Sock Class, 8. Small Tiles
Created with fd's Flickr Toys.
I’ve knit the above 8 pairs of socks. Half of them were gifts and now I’m worried that I knit them how I’d like to wear them instead of just following the pattern like I’m supposed to! Socks are such a great gift knitting and with all the sock yarn in my stash I plan on knitting many pairs as gifts but how do I do that?
My darling readers, can you help? Just answer a few questions...
- What shoe size do you wear?
- Do you like your socks snug or big?
- Do you like a tight knit fabric or a loser fabric so your feet can breathe?

12 comments:
Essjay! It's so funny that you posted about this because I'm going through exactly the same thing right now. I'm knitting socks for my mom, and I'm so worried that they're not going to fit correctly. I'm a size 9 or 9.5. When I knit socks for myself, I never measure...I simply try them on and see how they fit! I like my socks to be a bit snug. Not "cutting off my circulation" snug, but I hate when they feel like they're falling down. Good luck with your sock survey...let me know if you have any flashes of brilliance!! :muah:
* What shoe size do you wear?
I wear size 7 to 7.5
* Do you like your socks snug or big?
I knit mine about a half inch too short which is just snug enough for me.
* Do you like a tight knit fabric or a loser fabric so your feet can breathe?
I have one pair of super tight gauge socks that I can only wear about twice a winter when it's super cold. The rest I'd say are definitely tight, but not necessarily loose.
Without being much help, I can say that I like my socks to be 'just right.' As far as gift knitting, I have knitted a few pairs as gifts and NONE of them have fit the recipient. I've learned my lesson and only knit non-garments as gifts.
:)
I wear a size 6 and I generally like them to be a little on the snug side. Mostly because socks seems to stretch out, so a little snug means that they'll fit just right once they get all warm on your feet, you know?
As for gauge, I prefer somewhere in the middle. Not super loose because they tend to not be as soft, but not so tight that they're threatening to suffocate my feet.
Yeah, I'm like Goldilocks. Sorry I couldn't be more help. All of your socks look great, though!
I wear a size 8.5 to 9. I like snug socks. I like a tight fabric because I have narrow feet and socks can get loose.
I am impressed with your sock knitting. I have one pair OTN and I haven't touched them since I started last fall.
I wear an 8 and prefer my socks to fit snug. I don't care for socks that slide down and bunch up on the bottom of my foot. Speaking of which, I have discovered that future pairs of socks will be knit with the sole having the knit side of the stitch on the inside agains my skin. The purl ridges touching the bottom of my feet hurt for some reason. Good luck!
I wear a size 6 & just follow the measurements of the SKS book. I don't like them too snug, but not loose either.
Just be glad you're nice enough to knit socks for other people!
I wear a size 6 and prefer a snug fit.
I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who worries about this. I was planning to make socks for my mom and aunt but was worried they wouldn't fit right. Haven't figured out what to do and therefore haven't started the socks yet.
My foot is an 8 wide, I wear an 8 1/2 shoe. I prefer my socks not to be loose. I think my daughters are the same. I have only knit one pair of real socks, and one pair of little toddler socks, with left over yarn. I was following a toe up pattern book, The instructions given me made the socks fit my 3 year old, when I was aiming for the 20 month old. Their feet aren't that much different, but from my limited experience, most instructions make the socks loose.
All your socks look fabulous!
Shoe size: 6 1/2 W
I like my knitted socks snug and with a tight gauge. I feel like I'm getting blisters if the socks are too loose. I like Kristy's idea about wearing them knitside in. I'll have to try that.
I wear a 9.5 and like the socks snug around my foot, but not too short. That hurts! If the socks aren't snug enough in diameter, they get loose and start to slide down after just a few hours' wear.
When knitting for myself, I don't pick up as many gusset stitches as I should so that the instep will be tight (thus the socks won't start to slip down into my shoe).
It's sad that I've knit a zillion socks, but I still can't knit a pair that fit me properly. Bah.
As for knitting for other people...I do it, but it skeers me. I get out my SKS or MSKS and follow instructions carefully, even if I'm using a pattern from elsewhere. And especially if I'm knitting for men. Rob's handy as my man-foot tester :)
My US-size is 9.5 (I think, it was in a pair of shoes I have, but I never use that size).
I always knit my socks 1.5 cm shorter. That's one size (in the Netherlands). I like them snug. When I'm knitting with elastic yarn (like cascade fixations) I sometimes even make them up to 3 cm shorter. I like them really snug.
I don't like the fabric to tight, because it doesn't stretch anymore and that makes it hard to get the socks on your feet. However, I don't want it to be loose either. The fabric to loose will make holes really soon. The fabric shoul be thighter than a sweater.
I'm probably one of the "older"of your readers, Hon! I like my socks to be cotton/ or cotton/blend at least--wool's too hot for most Virginia winters. I wear a 7 an 1/2 shoe size, but I have a wide foot, so I'm hard to fit. I don't like the cuffs to be so tight that they leave a "ridge" in my leg when I wear them awhile. I don't like the instep to be so tight that I can't feel that my feet "move" and "breathe"! I dont' care for the elastic kind--like Fixation--especially if it's stretched out when the socks are being made. Am I picky--Sheesh, I'd say so!! But I've made several pairs of socks and always ended up giving them away as gifts, because people are so intrigued by them. I guess I should be finding something to knit myself a pair of socks with that "breathe!"
I'd LOVE some suggestions.
Yep--I guess I'm kinda picky...but this is what you wanted to know, and I'm happy to oblige you, Sweet-girl
!Hugs!
Trudy
Post a Comment