Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Can I do this?

From p......to.....P.
From picture taker to Photographer.

I can take pictures. Anyone can take pictures. But Photographs? I'm scared! Tonight I started a photography class. It is offered through the local school district's continuing education classes. It is 9 weeks long at 2 hours a class and I only paid $138 for it. The teacher is a local photographer and private camera store owner. He knows what he is talking about and it scares me.

I can learn this. I was able to understand what ISO, f-stop & shutter speed were and learn how to change them on my new Nikon D80. I can change them. But what, when combined, do they accomplish? I haven't any clue and it scares me! I know I need to be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day so I won't be a photographer in one day. That doesn't mean I don't want to be!

In addition to learning some basic functionalities of my camera and some new vocabulary I also learned what are "important accessories" for dSLR cameras. That means time to shop and build my wish list! Why do hobbies have to be so expensive!

Wish me luck - I'm sure you'll hear more about my journey from p to P!



3 comments:

Dilly said...

I can't wait to see some of your 'professional' photos! Sounds like class will be very helpful for learning all about your new camera.

Becka said...

S.W.E.E.T. camera, my friend!!! Very, very nice! And that is a GREAT DEAL for a photography class! I've been thinking about dslr again, but...as I said before when I didn't get one last year, I'll end up doing stuff I shouldn't & hurt myself...I'll stick to the software! But, now i have the new camera bug......
AND
you, my dear, will be a FANTASTIC photographer (I think you are already!

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll enjoy this class! That you get to learn a lot of new things, that you gain confident in your photography skills and that the rest of the bunch are nice people. :kram: