Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Crafting, A Three Year Retrospective

Crafty Venture
2009
2010
2011
Number of Projects Knit
63
37
22
Yards of Yarn Used
19,559
11,227
9,237
Yards of Yarn Brought In
42,063
30,861
18,095
Number Projects Sewn
5
7
3
Number of Photographs Taken
5,547
5,906
1,205
Number of Blog Posts Posted
47
113
17

Why, yes. I did just post that table. 
I happen to love data very much!

In early 2010 I posted a recap of my 2009 knitting. I thought it was fun - a great way to reflect back on my year. Apparently I didn't decide it was fun for 2010 so when I decided to look back at my knitting for 2011 and found myself expanding to all my crafty ventures....I knew a table would be the end result.

I am the odd one that tracks my yarn usage monthly (Google Docs is awesome). Ravelry is ideal for tracking  projects annually. My sewing set on Flickr makes it easy to count projects completed. My counts of photographs are easily assembled from the electronic files. Blog posts are easily counted when they are all labeled with the year.  Yes, I know. I need help.

At first I was really sad about my 2011 numbers - all around. What a slacker I am. The numbers are under half of what they were for 2009.  I could give you a list of excuses (selling and buying a house in 2011 would be at the top of the list followed by work) but I won't.  I am happy that the yarn brought in is so low in 2011 - that is one number I am proud of!

Despite my disappointment with the numbers I am glad that there are numbers bigger than 1 in all those rows for 2011!  I need to concentrate on the positives - I did craft in 2011 despite everything that was going on.  I also want to learn to not be so competitive with myself.  I don't need to top my previous years numbers. In fact, if I take on epic projects (Sunbreak baby blanket anyone?) I won't have as much time for other projects.

The other thing I am going to concentrate on is knowing that 2012 is already shaping up to be a better year for crafting and that is exciting!  I have already finished 3 knitting projects, posted 8 blog posts, sewn 3 projects, taken 402 pictures and bought 3,376 yards of yarn.  I am on a roll!

I am thankful for the time I have to craft - even if it is limited time. 

What do you wish you had more time to do?

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm glad to hear that you're getting more time to craft! I totally get the competitive thing; I looked back at my 2011 and realized I didn't even manage to get close to my 2010 numbers. From everything I hear, 2011 was a rough year for everyone.

I think I would like more time to spin. I really didn't do a good job of tracking my spinning last year. Or sew. I'm kind of indecisive!

Meredith said...

That's pretty cool! I'm sure my 2011 numbers would be terrible all around. Hopefully I can get back into sewing and knitting soon!

Tina J. said...

Long as you're making time for you and have some fun - numbers really don't matter.

Health and happiness - that's the bottom line!

Tina J. said...

Long as you're making time for you and have some fun - numbers really don't matter.

Health and happiness - that's the bottom line!