Monday, September 6, 2010

Purple Yarn of Doom

At the end of July I shared with you that I was having trouble hearing what the eleven skeins of Karabella Aurora 8 in the beautiful Eggplant colorway wanted to be.  My relationship with this yarn has not been a good one and a wise friend nick named the yarn the purple "yarn of doom" (YoD).

After I realized, again, that I wouldn't have enough yarn to finish the sweater I let the unfinished Wicked sweater sit in exile in it's plastic bag prison.  I let it fester. I let it scream at me.  I let it wait.  I ignored it.  I tried not to feel sorry for it.  I did not let it visit with the other yarn in my stash.  I broke the yarn.  I'm happy to report that I won this battle - it finally gave up.

In an unusual fashion for me I made a split second decision on what to make with this purple YoD.  When the Fall 2010 Issue of Twist Collective came out  and I saw the Hawthorne shawl by Susanna IC I fell in love.  Madly in love.  I can't wear most traditional shawls because they just don't fit me, but this one has a wing span of 69" which I can wear.  Then I noticed it was knit with worsted weight yarn which meant the pattern would go fast. And then I realized that THIS could be the pattern for the purple yarn.  The last chance for the purple yarn.

DSC_3591_edited-1


I am delighted to report that Hawthorne was the perfect project for this purple YoD.  On August 16th I found the pattern, bought it, printed it (and left it on the printer at work).  As soon as I got home I took the Wicked sweater out of it's plastic prison and frogged it.  I cast on the first row of 311 stitches and knit three rows of the chart.

DSC_3585_edited-1

I didn't worry about running out of yarn. I knew I had enough.  I knit this shawl like the wind - I finished it only seven days after casting it on.  I didn't care that at one point there were 450 stitches per row.  The pattern was so well written and the chart was clear and easy to follow.  I enjoyed knitting this shawl - seeing the pattern develop as I knit it.  

The yarn and I finally made our peace and I could not be happier with the final product.  This is what this YoD was meant to be.  The even bigger surprise to me with this project is that I am going to keep this shawl for myself.  The temperatures dropped Friday morning so there was a chill in the air.  I picked up this shawl, wrapped it around my shoulders and proudly wore the shawl all day, knowing I had conquered this yarn.

DSC_3590

The details can be found on my Ravelry project page.  

As much as I love this shawl there is a problem.  This shawl only used half of the purple YoD.  What to do with the other half of it?  I'm thinking I might just make this shawl again & give it away.  I know the yarn works for this project so why not?  For now the rest of the purple YoD had been returned to the general population of my yarn stash. I hope it is making friends up there and will soon be knit into something else.....as long as it maintains it's good behavior.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Victory!!! I'm both happy and relieved that you conquered the YoD!!!

The shawl looks great and I'm happy you're keeping it for yourself!

Bluebird49 said...

YoD. Kind of the opposite of the kindly Yoda! Good for you--making that PYoD behave and listen to its mistress's voice! "And yarn shall not rule over me, but I shall have dominion over every fiber of its skein." I think that's in some Bible somewhere--probably the Knitter's Bible, but still--very valid and sacred--well, maybe not SACRED...!

Loved the shawl, and I think knitting another one pretty soon, would be a piece of cake after doing the first. It's beautiful! wonder if I could do it?! (Nooo)

Meredith said...

Beautiful job! I'm so glad you finally won the battle with that yarn.

Tina J. said...

That's GORGEOUS!!! (purple's always been my favorite color too.)