One of my favorite times of the year as arrived: Farmer's Market season. Today was opening day for the Des Moines Farmer's Market. I started going downtown for the market about three years ago and look forward to going every Saturday. I prefer to go early (arriving around 7AM) because the crowds can get heavy as the day goes on and I don't really like crowds. This means I need to be out of bed by 5AM. On a Saturday. The market is so worth getting up early. I was so excited for the market this morning! The weather was beautiful - no need for a hat & mittens like past opening days! I met my friend Kara at one end of the market and with cameras in hand we walked the loop.
I have to say that this market truly is amazing. The coordinators have done a fabulous job of bringing in a variety of vendors. I have to say that the idea of "buying local" has hit home a bit more now that I shop so much at the Farmer's Market. My shopping from May through October isn't focused on the grocery store, I shop as much as I can at the market and supplement from the grocery store. Last year Kara and I went on a Farm Crawl (I can't believe I never blogged about it, but here are the pictures from the day) and there are several vendors at the market who participated in the Farm Crawl. To have been on their land, seen where their products come from and chatted with them really makes it "local" for me. I highly recommend the Farm Crawl to people - it was a great experience.
Anyway...back to the market! It was a lovely morning and the market was PACKED. Again, I don't like crowds but I was delighted to see all the people there. I'm looking forward to 6 months of Farmer's Markets!
Best Breakfast - Grilled Aspargus over cheesy toast

4 comments:
The sights! The sounds! The smells! The Farmer's Market is just the best. Happy May Day & Market Day!
You've inspired me. Next Saturday, I have to get to the market! Our gets crazy busy, too, so I think I'm going to bike.
We were there early too. Hopefully we'll run into you next week.
All that food looks so fresh and delicious!
Post a Comment