Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm Thankful

I had a lot of time to think tonight.  Winter is throwing another fit.  Six - nine inches of snow expected by tomorrow at noon.  I'm not quite sure why Mother Nature always starts the storm at the right time so the afternoon commute is a disaster.  Today was the longest commute home in the two and a half years I've had my current job.  It took me an hour and forty minutes to get home.  I couldn't even get on the highway I usually take - cops were blocking the entrance.  The other highway option was bumper to bumper so I took the back roads.  Thankfully people were well behaved and mostly patient.  

It just took f o r e v e r.

So what am I thankful for (in this winter storm)...?
  • home.
  • a job to drive home from.
  • a rear wheel front wheel drive car. (I got that backward! My new Escape is front wheel drive!)
  • hand knit scarf & hat to keep me warm.
  • a husband who will listen while I relax after a horrible drive.
  • that I filled up the gas tank in my car yesterday.
  • a puppy sleeping on me while I write this post.
  • leftovers so I don't have to cook dinner tonight.
  • a knitting project with Malabrigo awaiting me on the couch.
  • home.
There isn't much I like about this winter so far.  I was delighted this morning that the temperature was 5F with no windchill.  The dogs and I actually had fun on our morning walk.  That is short lived though - the windchill tomorrow might reach -35F.  The Farmer's Almanac said it was supposed to be a mild winter.  If this is mild I don't want to see what bad is.  I've been living in Iowa for 5 years now and this is by far the worst one.

DSC_8980

Tomorrow I can probably take pictures of puppy body imprints in the snow instead of just paw prints.  Poor pups.

Freaking Winter.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm thankful for your thankful reflections. With a winter like this it's getting hard to remember the good things.

Liz said...

I went for a walk today... 32 balmy degrees on Popham Beach. The wind stung and made my eyes tear up though but all I could think about was my freeeeezing friends in Iowa. I hope it fricking warms up for you all darn soon.

Caffeine Girl said...

Sigh. Same thing here. I usually like winter, but this one is WAY too cold!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you win the prize for positive thinking! (Brrr. That snow pic makes me shiver.)

Meredith said...

This weather makes me very glad that I don't have a long commute or have to drive to work! Although today it took my boss 3 hours to get in from the suburbs on the train, just because there were so many people on the trains that she couldn't get on.

ZinkThink said...

I like the way you think. Here goes: we can also be thankful for the HEAT WAVE coming through on Sunday! Highs in the 20s! Woohoo! Time to break out the shorts! ;)

Anonymous said...

It's great that you can find things to be thankful for! You're right. You have a home, a job, lovely family and plenty of yarn!

Trudy said...

No matter what's going on--there's always so muchto be thankful for isn't there! So much!