I'm staying home from work today and other than a trip to the chiropractor I'll be on the couch with ice packs and the DVR. No knitting time, unfortunately.
Last night when I got home from work I wanted to to take the dogs for a long walk - good for both them and me. I stretched out my neck because it was feeling a bit tight. By the time I got home from the walk 40 minutes later I could barely turn my head and my right shoulder hurt a lot. I have no idea what I did!
I figured I would do my homework and then rest on the couch with ice and things would go back to normal. After spending three very frustrating hours in front of my computer I'd accomplished nothing on my homework. I needed to install software to get the program to work correctly and it did not go well. By 9:00 I was very stressed out and in even more pain.
I did ice several times before going to bed - I stayed up late so I could get a few rounds in. By bed time I still was in pain and couldn't get comfortable on my pillow. While I feel better this morning I'm not even close to normal and I know that a day on the computer in my office chair would only make matters worse. So I'm taking a sick day to snuggle with the puppies and rest my neck and shoulders.
The good news is I don't feel the least bit guilty about taking this day off which is a huge step for me. The main reason is I think that the stress I've experienced at work lately is the main cause of this 'injury' and I'm not going to make myself suffer through a day in pain at work because I'm not "sick". I'm proud of myself for not feeling guilty.

6 comments:
I definitely think it's the stress and working on the computer too much that is doing this to you. When I've had a particularly stressful/long computer day, that is exactly where I hurt. Take care of yourself and enjoy your day.
Heck, being injured counts as sick! I think it's awesome you don't feel guilty--because you shouldn't! Get some rest.
I'm not a doctor but I'll play one on the internet. Your neck sounds exactly like what I did a couple years ago. Muscle relaxers and heat were what the doc prescribed. The ice reduces swelling from injury, but it also increases tension, which was the main problem: the neck muscles all seized up.
Now when I re-pull it, I run home to the heating pad and Skelaxin. Maybe some gentle manipulation will have the same effect.
Good for you for not feeling guilty! I hope the day off allows you to feel better on all accounts.
I hope that you feel better soon! A day off should certainly help.
You should definitely take care of yourself. Work stress can really do a number on all of us.
Post a Comment