Saturday, May 9, 2009

Saturday Morning

Friday afternoon was a true Iowa day. It was bright and sunny at lunch and then by 3:30 it was dark. By 4:15 it was pouring rain. By 4:45 it was still pouring and I was waiting, in the car on my driveway, for the rain to let up so I could go inside. By 5:00 PM the storm was gone and the sun was out. Perfect for walking the dogs.

DSCN0088DSCN0087

After the rain (which we needed) the temperature dropped a bit making for a chilly overnight and a chilly Saturday morning, but it was a perfect morning. Blue skies, clouds, sunshine and a world turning green around me. I ventured down to the Des Moines Farmer's Market as I do most Saturday mornings from May through October.

Reinhart Family Farm has won my heart over this year. For the first time they are grilling onsite. They grill fresh aspargus (from their farm) and serve it over a piece of grilled bread. I will eat this treat every Saturday that it is available. It is like spring on a plate and so delicious.

DSCN0089

I always say "I'm not going to buy much" and then the next thing I know the $120 that was in my pocket is G O N E. I don't always spend that much. This trip included Christmas presents and buying things that I haven't had since the market ended last year (so, stocking up). I also have to remind myself that it means my grocery bill will be a heck of a lot cheaper. I had no room in my bag...so it was time to come home. I love going to the market early, having a great cup of coffee, eating my new found treat, people watching and supporting local. Great job Des Moines!

DSCN0090
(click the picture to go to Flickr & see my notes on everything)

I was greeted at home by two puppies incredibly happy to see me. They both were crying when I left them this morning, which made me sad. Even though I was only gone for 2 hours they acted like I hadn't been home in a month. Since the morning was so beautiful I got them all collared up and took them for a run at the park. Since it isn't warm out they really spend a lot more time running.

DSCN0091

Lolly, at www.lollygirl.com, had a post last week about going to Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival and really trying to be "in the moment". She held a contest and asked people to share the times they'd felt most "in the moment". I didn't enter because I couldn't think of anything to share. Well, this morning I was reminded of when I'm the most "in the moment" and that is when I take the dogs to the park on a morning like this.

DSCN0103

I know dogs can't smile, but mine do. They get their leashes taken off and they are off and running. They run, sniff around, pee on everything, roll in smelly stuff, chase tennis balls, drink from puddles, lay in the sunshine, get treats from me, and when it is time to go home their tongues are hanging out, almost to the ground. For some reason, when I see them enjoying every moment of our time at the park it just brings this feeling of joy over me. Sometimes, when they are having such a great time I feel myself wanting to cry because I'm overwhelmed with happiness.

DSCN0095

It seems a bit lame to say that, but I truly love watching them have so much fun just being them. They remind me that I can have a few minutes to just be in the moment and not worry about what I have to do for the rest of the day, not worry about my to do list, my studying, cleaning the house, my job or anything else that might be on my mind. It all fades into the background and I just let the sun shine on my face, let the wind mess up my hair, let a smile cross my lips and I laugh out loud at the two furry, white goofballs in my life.


DSCN0066

3 comments:

Liz said...

awwwww! Such a GREAT POST! This makes me SO happy. I know your pups give you such joy and that is awesome.

I know what you mean about the farmers' market being pricey but seriously -- it IS groceries after all -- right, RIGHT!? ;)

After you posted about the asaparagus toast last week I was curious so I'm glad you posted a picture. I've been thinking all week about how to mimic this at home... I'm thinking something in the broiler and maybe the addition of grated cheese?

Happy Happy spring! Happy Mother's Day tomorrow, Furmomma!

Anonymous said...

What great photos of the puppies - so cute! And that's a great haul from the farmers market. Yum!

Bluebird49 said...

Great pictures, Honey!! I'm drooling over the asparagus..I think I'll have to go to our Farmer's Market up the road and get some asparagus and either grill or roast it and taake some to Mama at the nursing home.

By the way, I posted grandkid pics on my bloghttp://knitpickingit.blogspot.com/2009/05/small-things.html--just a few, but they are newer!!

Hugs!!Trudy