Thursday, February 12, 2009

You Are Very Missed...

A year ago today I lost my Grandpa. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him fondly and lately I've found the tears coming more often as the anniversary of his death approaches.

100_3035
Here is Grandpa with my sister Hillary in August of 2006

Grandpa suffered from Alzheimer's and while I didn't have to see the small changes in him I heard the stories from my grandmother and mother. When I saw my grandfather for the last time in August of 2007 I was prepared for him not to know me, to not remember me - after all he'd been having trouble recognizing my mom and she saw him several times a week. I walked into Grandpa's room at the nursing home prepared as one could be to not be recognized by a loved one. Much to my surprise when Grandpa saw me he started crying and immediately knew who I was. Maybe I caught him in a moment of lucidity, but I'll take it. I was able to see Grandpa for a few moments before having to say goodbye, able to remind him how much I loved him before he didn't recognize me.

I still miss you so much Grandpa! I miss you telling me to behave myself. I miss you being so proud of me. I miss hugging you. I miss the tickle wars from childhood. You were (and always will be) the best Grandpa and I can't thank you enough for loving me.

A special thanks to my knitting friends who witnessed me completely break down this weekend when I realized it had been a year...you ladies are the best support and I'm sorry I made you cry!

3 comments:

Lisa (JeepGirl) said...

Sending our love to you, Sara!!! *Big Hugs*

Anna said...

I would've "gladly" cried with you if I were there.

:kram:

Anonymous said...

{{{hugs}}} It's always nice to be so loved by someone.