Friday, October 31, 2008

Sunbeam Sweater

A friend of mine from knitting group, Alison (Rav Link), is about to have a baby any day now. What does that mean? Instant gratification baby knitting! When I was going through my stash (to be explained later) I found some lovely DK weight yarn, immediately got on Ravelry to find the perfect pattern (that was already in my queue!) and off I went.

DSC_3391

Pattern: Sunbeam Sweater (Rav Link) from Nettle Knits (website)
Size: 6-12 Month
Yarn: Plymouth's Dream Baby DK (acrylic & nylon), two skeins (about 360 yards)
Needles: KnitPick Options Nickel Plate 24" US 4 circular
Time: Cast on Friday after work, sewed buttons on & seamed last sleeve Monday after work.

DSC_3394

Thoughts: This is a great pattern! It is knit from the left front to the right front so the only seaming is under the sleeves! It utilizes short rows, but all done in garter stitch so there was no wrapping, just turning (and no purling!). The "lacy" affect was done by wrapping the yarn twice around the needles when knitting - no yarn overs or knit 2 together-s - so fun! The pattern was easy to read and super fast to knit.

DSC_3392

The little star buttons are from Hobby Lobby and I'm surprised I found those, I won't be going there again for buttons.

I gave the sweater to Alison last night at knit night and I'm happy to say it received the appropriate number of "ohhhs" and "ahhhs" as only one would expect from a table full of knitters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! And a clever design, too!

Anna said...

Cute!!!

IowaKnitter said...

If you think this is cute from the picture, you should see it in person. It is absolutely adorable! Almost makes me want to change my gift for a baby shower this weekend. My baby shower gifts for the past 10 or so years are almost always personalized Christmas stockings.
(Except for Tommy--his was a hooded bath towel made with Plymouth Fantasy Naturale.)